Substitute Instructional Application Requirements
The Human Resources Department is currently processing instructional substitute applications for the 2016-17 school year.
Applicants may not begin substituting until all of the steps below have been completed.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher from a fully accredited college or university. Official transcripts required.
- Online Instructional Application
- Resume – Must be current with no time gaps
- References- Supply two (2) references using the online application process. References must be from supervisors or administrators as noted below. Supervisors must be identified in the Work Experience section and/or Professional References section of the application.
- Experienced teachers: provide references from recent administrator(s) (principals, assistant principals).
- Pre-graduates: provide references from Supervisor of Interns, Supervising Teacher, and Major Professor.
- For non-education majors: provide references from current and most recent administrator(s) / supervisor(s).
- Previous Sarasota County School Board Employees: provide references from recent administrator(s) / supervisors(s) and a reference from the most recent SCSB supervisor / administrator.
Applicants should contact the Human Resources Department to verify that all information has been received and their status is “Recommend” in the Applicant Tracking System before proceeding to additional requirements below.
- Official transcript(s) with degree conferral date are required. Foreign transcripts must be translated and evaluated. Photocopies are not acceptable.
- Complete the District’s Substitute Endorsement Program. This requirement is waived for teachers who have taught full time in a classroom for a minimum of one year in a U.S. public or private school within the preceding five years.
- Complete pre-employment processing. (View Pre-Employment Processing)
- Register for and attend Substitute Orientation. All paperwork must be completed 5 days prior to orientation.
- There is a requirement that 10 days must be worked within the school year to remain active in our system.
Applicants may not begin substituting until all of the above steps have been completed.